40% of the world population does not have access to reliable electricity. Founder Jonathan Knight tells the story of how Uprise Energy is changing that with the world’s first commercial portable wind turbines.
We take our outlets for granted, but 3 billion people live in energy poverty worldwide. Uprise Energy’s portable wind turbines provide a solution and open up a whole world of opportunities for their users. Founder Jonathan Knight makes a financial and an environmental case for their revolutionary product.
Harnessing the wind and building with composites was familiar for Jonathan, as his father had a yacht refitting business. When he realized the growing importance of renewable energy, he started to look for a solution that could extend to areas that will never be covered by the grid. Wind was a natural choice, as it is available everywhere, day and night. Instead of costly and complex wind farm projects, however, his company developed a 10kW turbine that can fit in a 20 ft container and, at full tilt, could power 10 average American homes.
The possible applications are endless. The first pilot projects are on organic farms in the US, but the Military and the Australian government is also interested in getting involved. The turbines can be set up by 1 person in less than an hour, and they can power construction sites and replace diesel generators. But those who will see the biggest difference are islanders and people in remote villages, where human creativity will be unlocked by sudden access to reliable power.
- Why there are 1 billion diesel generators running in the world at any given moment
- How replacing diesel with wind energy saves cost, CO2 emissions, and human lives
- Why innovation often comes from the third world instead of Silicon Valley
Check out Uprise Energy’s website: http://upriseenergy.com/
Find them on social media:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/UpriseEnergy
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/upriseenergy/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UpriseEnergy
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/uprise-energy/
- YouTube video: https://youtu.be/1bVoYizxA4I) about installing, running, and taking down a turbine in 3 hours.